Sunday, March 22, 2009

Books to Movies

I love to read and I love movies. But I dont always love when they make books into movies. Some I do though. Twilight is a good example. I thought it was done well. It stuck closer to the book than most and definately kept the same feeling as the book.
Some examples of bad adaptations would be Eragon, other than the caracter names it was too different to be recognizable. Also the golden compass. Now I have not read it, but Jeff has and he was infuriated by the movie. I have never seen such a strong reaction. He still talks about how mad it made him.
Some movies based on books are actually better than the books. No slight on Nicolas Sparks, but the notebook and a walk to remember were both way better movies.
Then there are the enigmas. Stardust fits in this category for me. The book by Neil Gaiman was good. The movie was good. I liked the middle of the book better, and the beginning and end of the movie better. Weird.
These are my random thoughts of the day. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I agree. I thought Twilight stayed really close to the story. But at the same time, I think if you hadn't read the book you could find the film a little hokey at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, sexy lady! But you forgot about the dreadful movie adaptations of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They have screwed that one up TWICE! (Although the second attempt was much better than the first)
    I think, by far, the worst book to movie adaptation I have ever seen was Stephen King's IT. The book gave me the heebie-jeebies and the movie made me want to puke.
    As you know, I do not totally agree on Stardust, but that is ok. And Coraline.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have not read twilight, and refuse to, (stupid vampires) but I saw the movie with one of my friends. I have to admit that the whole first half I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. When they started flying through the trees I just couldn't help it. The rest of the movie was a giggle-fest, I just couldn't stop......stupidest movie I've EVER seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever? Really? I will say that it is not a cinematic gem but if it is the stupidest movie you have ever seen...you need to borrow some of my DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought twilight was an ok movie, I just think that the books are so well written that the movie couldn't really have lived up to it. Rochelle, I had refused to read the books as well just because of all the hype and because I always tell Ray that I hate stupid vampire books and movies, anyway I caved and the books are excellent, you are missing out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did Coraline do for you, big guy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not discuss Coraline until I have seen it a couple more times. The jury is still out on that one.

    ReplyDelete