Monday, August 10, 2009

Musical memories

Why so serious. We need some levity. So that is why I have been blogging meaningless crap that makes me happy.
You know what else makes me happy? MUSIC. Dont you agree? Cant you place music to people and memories that make you smile?
Here are a few of mine.
Simon and Garfunkel, Olivia newton John, Neil diamond, and many more bring back being little in the living room on a sea of blue carpet listening to the giant radio with the family.
technotronic: pump up the jam, Alphaville: forever young, Depeche mode: somebody, Billy Idol: mony mony takes me back to every school, region, and classic skating dance of my youth. I danced to forever young with Josh Vigas, my crush in 9th grade.
TLC ooooh on the tlc tip album has some personal memories.
Spin Doctors, cranberries, and pm dawn all have dating and early marriage memories with Mark, like getting the colt to 100 mph on I-215, hanging out the day before he left for boot camp, and just being together.
Whitney Houstons version of I'm every woman (trust me my sisters are smiling before I even say this memory) Mark used to sing this song at the top of his lungs while dancing. Damn I love that man.
Some songs or bands make me think of specific people. I will name a few, but not tell you who they remind me of. Maybe they will remind you of someone also.
Hewey Lewis and the news, Hermans Hermits, Outkast: so fresh and so clean, Outkast: rosa parks, orgy: blue monday, the beatles, metalica, rancid, smashing pumpkins.
Are you smiling yet? If not find some music that makes you happy, now blast it. Then I with the help of you will have made the world a better place through music. Help me help you.

My kids are at ages where they are really getting into music. This is fun to witness. What moves them or what they dont like. Jeff listens to the angry teenage boy music that his friends listen to. Regin is a pop princess, her new faves are Lady gaga and katy perry (this made me nervous for a minute, I was like are theese the role models I want for her? Then I laughed at myself because I dont believe they should actually be considered role models or that kids are really that susceptible. I grew up on Madonna yet I did not wear cone bra's or vogue dance, or marry Sean Penn. So I dont think Regin would hump pool orcas, or wear a leotard with control top panty hose sticking out the bottom.) Andrew has definate opinions he loves greenday, go figure. And the all american rejects and hates rob thomas.

I hope my kids get as much joy from music in their lives as I have had in mine.

2 comments:

  1. I hate Rob Thomas too! I actually have memories of listening to Green Day and Rancid with Drew in my room when he was REALLY little.....I like to think maybe I had some sort of influence in his superior taste of music! j/k. Lady gaga weirds me out with her super high french cut leotard and singing about someones disco stick, but i guess its better than Hannah Montana.........oh wait Regin likes her too. Nevermind.

    ReplyDelete