Monday, November 24, 2008

Things happen. Deal with it.

This is a therapy post. You have been warned.

Do you ever get that feeling that things just aren't working the way they are supposed to?
I am going through my annual "look back" period as I get ready for my birthday. My dad used to tell me that time goes faster as you get older. I never believed him until I got older. Funny thing about little pearls of wisdom like that. They are always funny until you realize that they are true.

Anywho, as I mentioned, I have been spending a lot of time reflecting on the last year and how I have grown and what I did and did not accomplish. I won't go in to specifics because they are personal and you are too nosy.
I have spent a lot of time thinking about my mother in the last few months. As I get closer to the age she was when she died, it kind of freaks me out. I know she made a lot of dubious choices in her life but it would have been kind of nice to have known her. Or at the very least to know the medical history of that side of the family to know what to watch out for. I find myself wishing I had pictures, or some kind of good memories of her, but it is too late for all of that.
I am usually excited for my birthday. Its always right around Thanksgiving. (Because the entire country celebrates, and devoted a day to give thanks that I was born, of course.)
This year will be the first time in life that I have gone to work on my birthday. Normally, as I mentioned, I get excited. Not in anticipation of gifts or parties, but because I have always seen birthdays as a celebration of life. (And I have had a freakin' awesome life)
This year, I am just not that excited. I don't know why.

In the shower this morning, it dawned on me that Christmas is only a month away. I haven't even started to get excited for Christmas yet. I need to get into my holiday spirit!

I think my year boils down to this:
Things happen. Deal with it.

I have my goals for next year. (Don't ask, nosy nellie!)
I *WILL* be excited for the holidays!

YOU WILL BE NICE TO PEOPLE TODAY!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry that you aren't quite as excited this year but I hope you have an awesome birthday anyways! It weirds me out when I see my parents wisdom coming to fruition in my life but I'm trying to learn. I can only hope that what we empart to our children goes in one ear and out the other only to teach them later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your just not excited cause you are a geezer! Geezers only get excited about sales at costco, early bird specials, and feeding ducks at the park! Have a good birthday, and cheer up!

    ReplyDelete