Monday, November 17, 2008

Are we different or are we the same?

I was thinking again. That always leads to trouble.

Are you the same person you were 15 years ago? Aside from all the "personal growth" stuff and maturity and all of that. Are you even similar?
Maxine and I are pushing up on 15 years this March and I have spent a lot of time thinking about our journey so far.

If the "then me" were to meet the "now me," would I recognize me? Usually when people think about things like this, it leads to the question, "Would the young me like the old me?"
I think that question is complete BS.
As I look back at the things I was doing 15-20 years ago...man, I was a dumbass.
It's amazing that I am not dead, in jail, or diseased. I have always been incredibly impulsive and lived for the moment. Most of my choices when I was younger reflect that.

That is why I met Maxine when I did. The universe has its way of bringing complimentary forces together.
Where I am impulsive, she is meticulous.
Where I am arrogant, she is humble.
When I am passionate and emotional about a topic, she is a thoughtful and level headed.
When she is passionate and emotional about a topic, I am thoughtful and level headed.
Where I am sometimes creative in my answers, she is honest in all she does. (I prefer being called a master of spin, thank you very much. It is a great skill to be able to twist the truth without having to lie.)
I love being able to watch a show with her and we can have a perfectly calm discussion on our very different views. It doesn't matter what subject. If we disagree, we can discuss it. (Although on most topics our views are fairly close. I think religion is the biggest gap.)

While it is pretty cliche to call your spouse your best friend, I think it is pretty obvious with anyone that knows us. When it comes to Maxine, I am pretty much a stalker with a healthy obsession. There are so many things she is good at, so many reasons why I love her. I won't bore you all with the details. (And believe me, I could go on for some time...)

I think it all sums up to one statement.

We are perfect for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment