Monday, August 23, 2010

The words

Step One

Taking time to love.

It is no secret that I love Maxine and our wonderful children. That is not the point of this post. At least not directly.

Love is critical to happiness and happiness is critical to love. You cannot have one without the other. While self-love is important, you really need someone else to love in order to experience it fully. Once you find those people, make sure you express it. So many times people become emotionally walled off and don't express love for those that need it most.

You should never assume that someone you love knows it. Take time every day to express that love. Words are not enough.

Think about the feeling you get when you do something for someone, without agenda, and their face lights up. Just thinking about it makes you smile, doesn't it. It is a win-win situation. Now, think about everyone you love in your life. Spouses, children, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. If you did one nice thing for HALF of those people each day, think about how much time you would spend smiling.

I spent the first seventeen years of life not knowing what love felt like. Once I found it, it was the most powerful drug imaginable. There is nothing in the universe that compares.

Your homework assignment is to focus your energy tomorrow on making those around you feel loved.

Are you up to the task?

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post,I think it's great that you love your family so much. You are an awesome dad and husband, and I might add brother and son to that list. You have always been easy to get along with and give your big happy smile to everyone you meet.
    I am happy that you have made our daughter so happy,and the 2 of you have given us 3 loving grandchildren.
    So with that I'll say we love you and your family and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a home where I never heard I love you. And yet I know how much my parents do in fact love me. It's amazing what a difference it makes to hear those three simple words though. In our little family we can't say it enough because I would never deprive them of that, I know how important it is. I think because I was never told those words that it definitely caused me to not understand self-love and to have low self esteem. I still don't know how to accept a compliment. I am thankful to others like Jeff and Dawnita who say it to me all the time and I know they truly mean it:)

    ReplyDelete