Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You are either a fan or your not.

I love sports.
Most of them.
I don't understand soccer but I can watch it.
I don't understand hockey and I can't watch it.
Someday I will learn to understand and appreciate both.
Car racing is not a sport and you will never convince me otherwise.
I enjoy watching baseball, I really enjoy watching basketball, but I love love love watching football. (Pro football. College football is on the list of things to try "getting in to" next year.)
Of course if you are reading this you know me you are not surprised by that at all.
Today is the 24th anniversary of Super Bowl XX. That means I have been a Bears fan for 24 years. I still remember the key players from that team and I have a Mike Singletary jersey framed on the wall next to me as we speak. (Not a real jersey. One of those cool meshy replicas that EVERYONE wore in the 80s.)
Being the youngun that I was at the time, (The same age Andrew is now) there were a lot of intriguing characters on that team. Walter Payton, the greatest RB of all time, was a classy, no-nonsense runner that got the job done. Hard-as-nails Coach Ditka not taking crap from anyone. Defensive end (and Super Bowl MVP) Richard Dent, Linebacker Mike Singletary, D-Lineman William "The Refrigerator" Perry, Jim McMahon at quarterback throwing to Willie Gault.
Man, I still get goosebumps.
I am still very much in love with my Bears (Old and new) and follow many that have left the team.

Happy Super'versary Bears! You have to win next year because how freakin cool would it be to win the Super Bowl on the 25th Anniversary of the last win. (Not as cool as winning multiple in a decade but I have to hope for something.)

And now, 7 minutes in the closet with your '85 Bears...
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNC3dgreaU

1 comment: