Monday, February 15, 2010

Book Report

At the beginning of January I was going to be spending some time in a waiting room so I needed something to read. I owe late fees at the library so I had to find something at home. I decided to read the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind. I finished the last book of the series this last week so I thought I would put out my review.
The series follows Richard and Kahlan on their adventures in unlikely love and an unwinable war. Battleing and allying in some cases relatives, emperors, sisters of light and dark, mord sith, and men corrupted by magic. They fight for freedom for the world and their lives from forced ideals, prophesy and violence.
The core story was very good. It has some good albeit sometimes dumb assed characters. There are strong women which I always like in a story. I laughed and cried and got really mad a few times.
Unfortunately the books also seemed to me to be unedited. There is a bit more discriptiveness than I like and there was A LOT of recapping and convoluted over explaining. And too much raping and pillaging. If you skim or skip all of that though the books are worth the read. Some more than others. I really liked Faith of the fallen, and really didn't like Pillars of creation. But it is like movies with me, I cant stop halfway through. I have to know how it ends and how it gets to the end. I'm glad I stuck it out. But now what am I going to read? I have heard good things about this Percy Jackson series (it is Andrew's favorite.) Maybe I will read those, if I ever get around to paying off my late fees. Oh how I miss you library, I will return again someday.

4 comments:

  1. What do you mean "waiting room"? What's going on?
    Hey if we come down for Braxton's funeral I'll bring you a couple of my books that you can read....maybe I can just give you my library card for the salt lake valley, since I no longer need it, and I don't have any late fees. wait....is that dishonest? who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Braxton's funeral? Really Rochelle? Isn't that a little harsh? Sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa! did I say funeral because I totally meant baptism.....hope no ones offended by that! Sorry Braxton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I think Chelle's lost it! Any way Ray is reading Percy Jackson's series and really likes them. Iknow your dad's read the series you did the review on. As for me I hate reading. But way to go.... keep on reading and it will keep your mind sharp! I've alway's been dull....

    ReplyDelete